If anything should be gleaned from
today’s readings, it should be the line from the McIntosh article in which she
states, “I did not see myself as a racist because I was taught to recognize racism
only in individual acts of meanness by members of my group, never in the invisible
systems conferring unsought racial dominance on my group from birth” (McIntosh,
3). I feel that Caucasians and minority groups both underestimate the powers of
these hidden forces. I cannot recall a moment in my life in which I have
directly observed vitriolic racism yet, especially as a white southerner, I
have seen the unintentional effects of white privilege time and time again. The
single greatest advantage of being white, at least as I have experienced it,
comes from knowing that the police protect me and do not target me. Not only am
I less likely to be targeted by officers but even if I am caught the white privilege
in the judicial system ensures me a greater chance to be found innocent or
given a less severe jail sentence. New York City has a stop and frisk policy
that allows the police to frisk any pedestrians they find suspicious of a
crime. The vast majority of those stopped are Latino or African-American with
only a tiny percentage being white. Even
wealthy African-Americans have reason to fear the police. As demonstrated in Crash – The black man in the scene is a successful
African-American film director. Knowing with confidence that I am much less likely to fall victim to such abuse is both comforting and concerning at the same time.
In the last assigned material for
today, Jennifer Lee calls into question the benefits of “positive” stereotypes.
However some incompatibility exists between the Lee video and the other
resources for today. I think that in part white privilege is merely the
manifestation of positive stereotypes. To go down the list compiled by McIntosh
a good deal of the privileges stem from whites being seen as law abiding,
financially stable, intelligent people. Whites can move into most neighborhoods
without concern for being accepted. I am not unfairly audited because I am
already perceived to have paid my taxes. I am less likely to be ID’d when using
a credit card. I can take walks at night without fears of being perceived as a
criminal. Yes, college admission is more difficult for me as a white. However,
considering the massive educational and social advantages I had growing up as a
wealthy white male, having a slightly higher required SAT score for
admission is probably fair.
The hegemonic structures of white,
male, and wealth privilege will not disappear easily or overnight. I do not see
these groups relinquishing their advantages and change will only come when the
burdened groups step forward and push for true equality. Even laws that strive
for racial equality, such as affirmative action, still reinforce racial
differences. No easy path forward exists.
This makes me think of the recent not guilty verdict of George Zimmerman in the shooting death of Treyvon Martin. This case will be discussed and examined for years to come due to the racial aspects of the victim and suspect. Had Treyvon not been black, this case would not be under nearly as much scrutiny as it currently is. The fact that Treyvon was black and the police took 44 days to arrest Zimmerman for the murder, also leads many people to view this whole case as racially unequal.
ReplyDeleteYou are right, simply being white give you an advantage in many things in society. If Treyvon was a white male walking around at night then there would proably be a less chance that Zimmerman would have followed him that night. No matter what the law says their will always be some degree of inequality and "invisible" racism in the world, especially in the justice system.
I completely agree with Sam and his touch on the Zimmerman case is point on. People are claiming this case as a racial case which in my mind is not true, but I completely understand how it can be portrayed that way. Just like Sam said, if Treyvon was white, the probability of this whole case getting this much news attention is pretty low, but the chances of having this event occur is even lower.
ReplyDeleteMy comment goes back to racial profiling, just like the women at the grocery store. People automatically assign certain morals, intentions, and attitudes towards different races and they are taken almost like a guide book. I did like the how the lady at the grocery store said her half sister, "walked this world in different shoes" (or close to that), it really assertions the essence of the advantages and disadvantages of certain skin types. It also emphasis the responsibility we all have to question our immediate thoughts about people solely based on their skin color, even if we're not racist, the thoughts we assign to some people before we even know them is something we can all help to better.
Just as Sam and Nathan, this makes me think of the recent Zimmerman trial. Setting aside my personal opinions and beliefs, no one but Zimmerman knows if his act was truly out of concern or prejudice. However, I do feel that if Zimmerman had killed a white adolescent, there would be less media attention and the verdict probably wouldn't have caused so much commotion amongst our nation. I'd also like to look at how the trial and investigation would've been if Zimmerman were a black man. Given the same circumstances, would he have still been found not guilty if he were a black man? Or would the legal system have tried harder to convict him?
ReplyDeleteGoing to the materials for today, I also believe that white privilege exists. As a black male, it's worrying to think that my skin color can portray so many stereotypes that may influence aspects of my life. Affirmative action, a constantly debated topic, for example, does a great thing for minorities. However, it also gives many people the impression that minorities don't work as hard as others to get to where they are or that they were only accepted to a certain school to meet some sort of quota. I believe that our society will one day have a very minimum amount of racism but just as stated in this blog post, it will not be easy.
White privilege is an unfortunate reality in today's society. A video that I viewed a couple of weeks prior in regards to the NYCPD's Stop and Frisk Policy demonstrates the blatant bias that is displayed when deciding to stop and frisk an individual.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.thenation.com/article/170413/stopped-and-frisked-being-fking-mutt-video#axzz2Z6so4yZN
In this video, a black youth recorded a typical experience through a stop and frisk; the reasoning the police officers gave for enacting their policy on him was that he was 'looking suspicious' and 'being a mutt'. The video mentions that more than 87% of people stopped in the last ten years in stop and frisks were Black or Latino and in 2011, only 1% of those stopped were carrying weapons. Only 13% of these stop and frisks were enacted on white people due to the power that they possess by having a lighter skin color. Peggy McIntosh argues in her article that she, as a white person, has many privileges that she can count on throughout her day and one of them was that, "If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven't been singled out because of my race" (McIntosh 2), which reinforces white privilege in stop and frisks and guarantees a larger percentage of minorities being stopped.
I have noticed that white privilege isn't something that exclusively occurs in adults, but in youth as well. When my older sister was a newborn and my parents still lived in an apartment complex, a neighbor knocked on their door and demanded that they, "shut that sand-nigger up" because my sister was crying too loudly. Needless to say, because my mom is white, she had the power to have this person expunged from the complex and my parents moved immediately after. But looking at the situation closer, would my older sister have been called such a derogatory name and confronted for crying if she were an all-white baby opposed to a multiracial one? If her skin was lighter, would her crying have been more tolerable in such an environment?