Sunday, July 21, 2013

"America the brave, still fears what we don't know."



In "Dude, You're a Fag? Adolescent Male Homophobia", Susan J. Ferguson studies the real meaning of the usage of word fag in a high school, and through her research she finds that fag is usually not used to directly correlate with homosexuality. Instead the word was used by high school students to lower other students masculinity. Although, many of the male students interviewed, commented that they wouldn't not use the word in front of someone who really was homosexual because they thought it was a disability really made me think about how society has looked at homosexuality from the beginning. In our society many individuals are accustomed to one way of living and in many cases a change or a difference is automatically labeled as something negative. Homosexuality serves as a perfect example, when it was discovered it was labeled as a disease, and many doctors and scientists were hesitant to find a cure for something they thought was so different and knew so little about. Since homosexuality has been looked down upon by society, society has made it extremely difficult for homosexuals to define themselves by their true identity. Over the years the view on homosexuality has changed, which has allowed the future of the homosexual community to head in a positive direction.
The closest has been more like a safe zone for homosexuals, “In response to a stigmatized desire, these individuals fashion a double life. Passing in their public life, homosexual expression is confined to furtive sexual encounters involving intense self-management to avoid unwanted exposure.” (Seidman, Meeks, and Traschen p186). One of the biggest challenges homosexuals face revolves around the closet and even though the era of defining homosexual as polluted and social disenfranchisement has not passed it is believed that the first phase of normalizing gay identities involves affirming the identity as primary. Over the progression of time, homosexuality has not been fully accepted but is more talked about in the United States. Including the government, there are many states that have legalized gay marriage. Ever since homosexuals started to take a stand many more people started to accept homosexuality. There have been cases where children ask their parents why two people of the same sex hold hands and in response the parents respond, “Because they love each other.”  Not only has homosexuality been accepted by many individuals but it has also made a break through the music industry.
Recently, homosexuality has made a breakthrough in the music industry. Macklemore is one of the many artists that have decided to take a stand and support homosexuality even though he was brought up Catholic and in the hip-hop community, which are institutions that are defined as homophobic.  From his personal life, he was around homosexuality because two of his uncles were gay. He also believes that there has been a huge shift and he decided to write a song about homosexuality because it is prevalent to what is going on right now. In his song, same love, one of his most powerful lyrics writes, “When I was in church they taught me something else. If you preach hate at the service, those words aren't anointed. And that Holy Water that you soak in is then poisoned. When everyone else is more comfortable remaining voiceless rather than fighting for humans that have had their rights stolen. I might not be the same, but that's not important. No freedom until we're equal. Damn right I support it.” It is impressive how Macklemore was raised Catholic and still be able to stand up for what he believes in. Overall, it is astounding to see the homosexual movement to be moving in a positive direction, especially in the music industry since it has a big impact on a lot of people.  I also could not agree more with artists such as Macklemore. This world will only start to change when people start realizing that in this world everyone is equal.



5 comments:

  1. As much as our society as come far from the beginning of when everyone was against homosexuals, I still believe that there is still more to be done. I do agree that homosexuals are just humans just like you and me and that they deserve the same rights and opportunities that straight individuals get. Who are we to deprive these individuals of their God giving rights just because they prefer to be with people of the same sex. We have no right to judge. God is the only Judge and therefore we should leave everything unto him. Like the music video if an individual raised in a catholic household is able to standup for gay marriage then we all should make that effort to stand up for what is right

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how Cesar brought up the Macklemore song because that is something I'm sure at least 90% of the class has heard before. I also think he is correct that it is going to take a long time for this world to change in a direction where everyone is viewed fairly. I think the best way to start is something that Macklemore actually addresses in his song. He states that people become numb to the repetition of hatred (or something very similar to that) in which is references the use of the word 'gay' and 'fag' as if they are nothing. This for me was something that really hit home. Every day on the baseball field players and coaches would use those words when describing a performance, something funny or even stupid I or one of my teammates did. They dropped the word with no intention other then a silly insult. The thing I realized through these readings is that we were no better then the kids in the other school, using derogatory language in a joking matter, in fact increasing the significance. Reflecting on it further, I am disgusted with myself and my lack of thoughtfulness towards the meaning and the implications that came along with it .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cesar, I definitely agree with your ending statement, “This world will only start to change when people start realizing that in this world everyone is equal”. I don’t think anyone should be able to tell anyone what they can and cannot do or have any remarks on the way they live their life. However, I find it very odd that boys will call each other fags just to insult them, but won’t say it near an actual homophobe. There was a certain part of the reading that caught my attention. It was a quote from one of the students. “Being gay is just a lifestyle. It’s someone you choose to sleep with. You can still throw around a football and be gay” (pg. 309). This basically tells me that it doesn’t matter what gender you are attracted to, but how you actually act when you around the rest of the guys. In order to avoid being identified as a fag, boys will make sure it steers clear of them, even if that means it is brought upon a different individual. Boys are willing to let someone else take the heat when, in reality, we should all be equals and you shouldn’t use a word, that may describe someone offensively, to downgrade others while that ‘type’ isn’t around. I don’t think it is okay for someone to insult somebody by calling them retarded or gay, in general, just because a gay person or someone who is mentally disabled is not currently around. I think it is rude and can easily be avoided and CJ’s comment about these teens killing themselves and shooting people would slowly decrease because the harrassment would start to go away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As we’ve learned earlier in this class, social change happens very slowly. Similar to the abolishment of slavery and equal rights for women, I believe that homosexuality will eventually be accepted. As Caesar showed with the Macklemore song, the acceptance of homosexuality is making progress.

    What struck me the most throughout this reading was how powerful human beings are. The majority of things that are controversial today are socially constructed. I also think it is interesting how one word can define so much and have such a heavy weight on it. Using a word synonymous to homosexual to insult someone is so wrong. It’s like taking the name “Drew Foster” and after seeing the quarterback completely ruin the last play during the championship game say, “Oh my gosh, what a Drew Foster!”

    Another important point I got from the reading was that calling someone a “fag” was a way for boys to “police their behaviors out of the fear of having the fag identity” which is also socially constructed (307). I think it’s time that we socially construct homosexuality as okay. We are all human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that overall Cesar had a lot of valuable points in speaking about the topic of Homosexuality in our society. I really like how he brought up the song Same Love, by Macklemore. The first time I heard that song it really touched my heart because I have personally witnessed so many people being touched by the lyrics and words, even hererosexuals can't deny how powerful and logical the statements are that Macklemore says in the song, I feel as though our generation is a generation of change and it definitely has the power to turn the concept of homophobia around. One step at a time. Not only do we need to change the various homophobic tendencies that many people encompass but also the idea that masculinity is seen as being a more positive trait to have than femininity. Also children need to be more educated on terms such as fag, and what the real meaning is so they can learn not to use it out of context.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.